Vienna's Imperial Treasury


    While in Vienna we got to go to their imperial treasury. I thought this exhibit was so cool because there was so much history in such a small space. I am a sucker for jewels and gold and so I was loving seeing all the fancy artifacts. There were a few jewelry pieces that I was dying to try on, one in particular was a set that seemed to have my birth stone as the main jewels. Another thing I loved getting to see were the giant cloak/outfits they would wear. They looked like they weighed a ton!! They were rich shades of red and blue with very intricate designs sewn into them. Some of them even had matching shoes and hats! It was so cool to be able to look at the little description by all the displays to be able to see where these artifacts originally came from. 

    The national treasury contains so much history and cultural importance. Like I said above, the amount of rich history the artifacts contain is unreal. Everything in there holds a unique story and there is a unique story in how all of the artifacts ended up in the treasury. When we were all waiting outside before we went in, we were talking about ways that they might have. Some of these ways include trade, political gifts/favors, and stealing. Some ways were honorable and some were clearly not. I think it is important to know these facts about a national treasury. The public now has access to these great treasures which I think is wonderful!  

    I think the treasury contributes to Vienna's status as a cultural capital by showcasing history, and serving as an educational tool. I would have never seen or learned about many of the artifacts that were in the treasury. It being open to the public allows for their education to grow and new interests be unlocked. I think a city that has places for its people to go to learn more makes them a cultural capital. A city that makes sure people know the history of their city is a strong and smart one. Vienna advertises this treasury to get people to see it! I saw multiple billboards showcasing some of the treasures people might find inside. I think this is very much helping Vienna's status.



Comments

  1. Awesome post Molly! As you said the imperial treasury educates people who go to it about Austrian history. I also would not know about all the artifacts there and how they contribute to Vienna and Austrian culture. Even though the monarchs have a complicated history Vienna cares about showing off their artifacts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal