Memorial to the Murdered Jews


                    

    While in Germany I was able to go to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews in Europe. When we were talking at the edge of the monument at the beginning I thought it looked big but not too big. It wasn’t until I found myself walking through the paths that I realized how big of an area this monument covers. I can not believe that each stone represents the deaths of 3 9/11s. When I heard this and then saw how many stones there were, my heart hurt. It is so sad to think about all the lives that were lost due to someone's terribly wrong decisions. I feel like the taller stones in the middle represent how the more you learn about the history of this terrible time, the more you feel overwhelmed and like you can't breathe. The looming stones represent how this tragedy looms over Germany and the world. I pray that nothing like this ever happens again. 

    This monument has deep historical and cultural importance. This monument represents a terrible time in history that led to the death of over 6 million people. Some of the victims had their whole lives stolen from them as they were only children when they were killed. When you are at this moment there is a history center you can visit that tells you more about the terrible things these poor people had to endure. This monument is making sure that this history is not forgotten. I think this is what makes it culturally important. Berlin could just ignore the terrible things that happened there but they make sure that they remember the past. I think this is such a big thing. It is important to remember what happened so that we can move forward and be better. 

    I think this moment contributes to Berlin's status as a cultural capital by basically the things I said above. The history surrounding this monument is so important and it is so great that Berlin doesnt try to hide this history. Sadly, all countries have some dirt on them. Whether it was colonization or starting a war, I think every country has something they would like to try and cover up. Berlin making sure that there are multiple things in their city that relate to their biggest failure makes me have respect for them. The past is what makes a city a cultural capital and showing it, the good and bad, strengthens the city's status.




Comments

  1. I love this post Molly. This monument was such a good representation of how confusing and awful the Holocaust was. This monument helps us to understand Berlin as a cultural capital because it shows us how much Germany has learned from its mistakes and how much they value showing how awful the Holocaust was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Molly! I liked how you compared the death toll of the Holocaust to something perhaps more relatable--deaths from 9/11. I liked how you emphasized the fact that Berlin could forget its past but it chooses not to. Great description of how you felt viewing the monument.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Great post, Molly. This monument is a profound representation of the confusion and horror of the Holocaust. By highlighting Germany's commitment to learning from its past and acknowledging the atrocities of the Holocaust, it helps us understand Berlin as a cultural capital. This dedication to remembrance and education underscores the city's cultural depth and historical awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Molly! This monument definitely shows how Germany treated their minority communities. It also shows how Berlin is committed to keeping a culture that is open and transparent. Berlin also has a culture of remembering past atrocities as shown by this memorial

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal