Amalia Rodrigues

    This blog post is about the incredible Fado singer, Amalia Rodrigues. This week we were able to visit her house and I was able to learn a lot of fun facts about her from our tour guide. One of my favorite facts I learned about her is that she loved perfume! I am addicted to perfume so this really resonated with me. I think it is cool that I was able to find a similarity with her. Amalia became someone I strive to be. From the stories our guide told us, I can tell that she was a very kind woman. Apparently, you could knock on her door, say you loved her and she would invite you up! She would host people all night and wanted people to feel welcome. One more thing that I loved learning about her was that she grew up fairly poor. She wasn’t able to move into her beautiful home until she was 36. Knowing this about her can serve as an inspiration to others. She worked hard to get where she did, which is very admirable. 

    Amalia  is known as the queen of fado and the lady of Portugal. In order to get names like these she had to have been pretty influential. I remember in the prep class Dr. Hegstrom said that she was the person to make fado popular worldwide. In my opinion I think This is a big contribution because it allows others to appreciate this form of art that they may not have ever known about if it weren't for her. Because of her big influence she became the first woman to be buried in Lisbon's National Pantheon. Professor M. McFarland told us that another thing her popularity allowed her to do was publish/sing a poet's work. This was an important contribution because at the time these poets were being silenced because of the political leadership in Portugal. Even though Amalia knew publishing this work would cause a scandal, she did it anyway. 

    I think Amalia has been commemorated well. Her home is open to the public which I think is a great way for people to learn more about her. In my opinion the best way to be commemorated is to have a way for people to remember you and continue to learn about her. Her house provides this perfectly. Amalia also has a garden named after her. We were able to visit this “garden” and I think she would have liked it. It is a beautiful piece of land that looks over the city of Lisbon. I think the fact that it is one of the highest points in Lisbon serves as a great sign of respect.


Comments

  1. I love this blog post Molly! She definitely faced some struggles with how she wasn't educated how we are educated now. This could have hampered her however she became a huge sensation throughout the entire world. This is something that is less of an issue today.

    Learning about Amalia has helped me to understand the importance of Fado and how integral it is too Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I like how you highlighted Amalia Rodrigues’s poor upbringing and how she couldn’t move into that house until she was 36, after years of hard work and fame. Highlighting these difficulties she had makes me appreciate all that she accomplished even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly! I'm just going to add a comment to your post.

    Amalia brought Fado to the forefront of Portuguese music, and made Fado known internationally as the main music of portugal. That would be like if folk music became known around the world as the main music of the United States because taylor swift had only ever sung folk music. She really did make a huge difference in how Portugal is seen around the world and it totally makes sense that politicians treated her as an important person to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal