Sweden - Art of Choice



    While in Sweden we went to their modern art museum. It was in this museum that I found a piece to do my art of choice blog on. The piece is titled “To my sister” and it was done by Asher Jorn. I am not the biggest fan of modern art but I kinda liked this piece. Modern art is complex because a lot of the time it is up to the viewer's interpretation of what the painting is and what story it is telling. When I first looked at this painting I saw a big quill, which after finding out what the name of the piece was I knew I was correct. The painting is full of colorful swoops and shapes with some black spaces in the background. My eyes were drawn to the colorful parts of the painting, but it is hard not to notice the dark parts. A story I came up with while looking at this painting is that someone is writing amazing life stories out to their sister that lives far away from them. On paper this person's life seems perfect, but in reality all of the stories they have written out are fake. They are actually not doing well but are too ashamed to admit it to their sister. They are trying to cover up the black emptiness with fake and exaggerated stories. 

    I don’t think this painting has any cultural or historical significance but I think modern art as a whole has importance. Modern art was/is such a switch from the art that used to be made. Imagine looking at this painting sitting next to Rembrandt's “Night Watch”. Modern art is a whole new movement and style that lots of people love. Personally, I am not a huge fan of modern art. I find it a little bit strange and not very nice to look at. I love Monet’s paintings but I know that some people are not a fan of them and absolutely love modern art. Modern art gives people something else to love and I think that is what makes it so important. 

    I think this museum contributes to Stockholm's status as a cultural capital by giving it a wide range of art. I think cultural capitals have to have a bit of everything. They can't just have modern art museums or renaissance art museums. Having a variety of things attracts so many more people. I think the fact that this museum has exhibits done by artists from other countries also contributes to Stockholm's status. I like when places acknowledge that other countries have great people, art, food, etc, have great things. I think America does this well. We have a mix of different cultures and make sure to show them off. This museum had artists from different places and they were great. I think these two things contribute to Stockholm's status as a cultural capital.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal