Skansen Open Air Museum

    This day was so snazz! We got to go to the Skansen Open Air Museum which is this giant area full of things to do and see. While I was walking around I saw cute little old fashion houses and barns. When I saw these it made me think of my ancestors. I have quite a few Swedish ancestors so It got me thinking about if any of them ever lived in houses that looked like these. I also saw a cute merry go round that was so colorful and fun and just reminded me of my childhood. Sammy and I were talking about the simple joys that children have and it made me miss it. Going along with the simple joys, we went into an aquarium and I did feel like a kid haha. I love the Ocean so the other girls had to drag me out of there. I loved this place! 

    I think the Skansen museum is important both historically and culturally. Cultrailly, it is a place where people can gather, practice/see some of their culture that is no longer a part of day to day life. I wish desperately that the USA had some culturally traditional clothing, dances, and practices. Sweden does have these things and you are able to see them at this place. I think historically it is significant because of what I said above about the houses and barns. We are able to go back in time and see what the conditions of living in Sweden could have been. I think this is a great place for natives and tourists to either connect with roots, learn more, or just to have fun.

    I think an area like this contributes Stockholms cultural capital in multiple ways. One way is that It brings people together. There is stuff for all people of all ages there! I think a place like this is a necessity in a cultural capital. Another thing is that there are cultural aspects at this place. While walking around I saw many women wearing traditional Swedish clothes and I didn’t see any shows or performances but Professor R. McFardland sent a video of a girl singing a song in these clothes. A place where people can go to connect with their culture or learn more about their culture totally impacts a city's cultural capital for the better.




Comments

  1. Really great post, Molly! I really like what you said about how this is a place that brings people in from all over. And you mentioned the houses and barns that highlight was Sweden was like. And this highlights the history of Sweden. And as we have seen, cultural capitals focus a lot on keeping its history alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Molly! I like your thoughts about how this is a place that brings people from all over, and how they can learn so much about Stockholm! It keeps the city’s history alive, and allows you to feel like you’re living in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Molly! I think you make good points that the open air museum makes a space for people of different ages to come together in the same location and to see the cultural legacy of sweden. Dress and the performing arts are a substantial contributors to a cultural, and I'm glad you were able to see those parts of the are. I didn't see those, but they sound really cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal