Greta Thunberg

    Great isn’t like any other woman we have learned about, in the fact that she is still alive. I am sure some people expected me to say it's because she is young but we learned about some other young girls that made a difference. We learned that Greta started her journey by protesting outside the parliament every Friday. She is very passionate about the environment and stepped up because she felt like no one was speaking up. Something I learned about her that makes me feel a little off about her is that she uses selective mutism. She only speaks when she thinks it’s important. When I think about that it makes me wonder if I were to try to start a conversation with her, would she just not respond because she doesn’t think it’s important enough? I think it’s the things like these that turn people away from liking Greta and not respecting her. 

    To be honest… I am not totally sure if she actually has affected the climate in any way. But I think she has raised a lot of awareness about the climate and the change that needs to happen. Specifically, I think she has raised awareness in the younger generation. I don't know why but kids don't want to be told to do something by an adult, but if another kid tells them then they listen more. I also think that she has been able to serve as an inspiration for kids that have been too afraid to speak what's on their mind because they are only a kid. She has given a voice to the younger generations. 

    Great is still living so she has been commemorated in ways that the other women we have talked about have. Great has not been given a statue or a bridge but she is getting lots of media coverage. In 2019 she was the Time's person of the year. This is a great commemoration for a living person! I wonder when she dies if there will be a monument put up in her honor. Because we are the same age I probably won’t live to see this happen but it is interesting to think about. I think she has been commemorated in the best possible way at this time.


Comments

  1. Great post Molly! Greta Thunberg has faced a lot of obstacles as an activist. I think her biggest obstacles have been capitalist realism and the stubbornness of the privileged. Many people do not support rapid climate action because they do not believe it will affect them. This lack of urgency is one of the issues Thunberg is trying to oppose, and is extremely powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal