Berlin women - Luise Greger

    My Berlin women of choice blog is about Luise Greger She was an amazing piano player. Professor M. McFardland told us that she was 6 when she started playing and by the age of only 10 she played for the Zar of Russia!! That is absolutely insane. She even started composing music at age 12. I can't imagine doing those things at such a young age. Luise made her money from playing. Eventually she became old and wasn't able to perform anymore so she moved into an old folks home. It was around this time that the Nazi’s came up with the idea of killing anyone they thought was useless to society. This included elders and people with disabilities. Despite being a brilliant player, Luise was euthanized. Someone else thought she had no more value and therefore killed her. This is so terrible, I can’t believe that humans thought they had the right to do this. She was in her 80’s when this happened to her. Her life ended unjustly. 

    To be honest… I don’t think she made a big contribution in the same way as some of the other women we have studied did. Her contributions are more individual I think. Her music is beautiful and definitely touches people and inspires them. I don’t think enough people know about her to be able to say her music has changed millions, but I definitely think that some people love it and it has helped them. Another way that she could be contributing is by informing people of this terrible act the Nazi’s carried out. BYU played some of her songs in a concert and I am sure some of the students/people in attendance went and looked her up afterwards. Learning about her might have caused them to learn about the T4 program. I didn’t know this was a thing until I learned about her so I feel that she has contributed to my life. 

    I don’t think she has been commemorated well. She is not recognized enough for her music. However, It was great to hear that BYU made sure people are hearing her music which is great! Other than that… she has no streets named after her or monuments. Her name is not even located on the memorial to those killed by this terrible kill order. I think that she definitely should have been one of the people featured on it. Actually, I think there should be a list right by the monument, maybe a list in the ground of every poor soul that was killed. I think another way she should be commemorated is by naming the street she lived on after her. I think this would be a nice way for her to be commemorated and because it is so close to where the Nazis decided to make this plan that it would be a slap in the face to them!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal