Netherlands Art Choice

 

    I chose to write my Amsterdam art blog on Rembrandt's painting titled “Night watch”. I studied this painting in an art history class I took so it was super cool to be able to see the painting in person. The first thing I noticed about the painting was the scale of it. It was so big! Taller and wider than me. Another thing I noticed was the eye in the background of the painting. The eye is located behind two men. I was able to learn that people think this is Rembrandt's eye. This is such a cool idea! He might have thought it would be too obvious to paint himself in the painting so decided to just do his eye. Another thing I noticed about the painting is how chaotic it looks. I love how it looks like a frat party. Men are everywhere, talking to each other, wearing different clothes, holding up sticks, playing the drum, etc. I love the chaos of it, I think it adds to the realism of the painting. 

    I think that “Night Watch” by Rembrandt is important historically and culturally because it is one of the first of its kind. In the past group paintings had been done where everyone was static. This painting changed that because the characters were moving. He inspired a whole new type of Dutch painting. Another thing that makes it historically interesting is that everyone thought the painting takes place at night which is why everyone calls it “Night Watch”. The truth is that it does not take place at night. When people were restoring it they discovered that it is actually a day time! I think this makes it historically important and makes it even more famous. 

    I think that this painting contributes to Amsterdam's status as a cultural capital because it is Rembrandt's most famous painting. Rembrandt was from the Netherlands so having such a famous painting come from a Dutch painter is such an important thing. It gives the Netherlands something to be proud of and represents their rich cultural heritage. Furthermore, this painting is so famous and known that it attracts tourists. When these tourists come to visit they are able to learn about the Netherlands. Being known is a very important factor in being a cultural capital. Art is a great thing for cities to have to make them a more cultural capital. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal