Madrid Art: las meninas

I know this is not a very good pic but this is us in front of the Museum. We were unable to take pics inside. 

    I am choosing to write this blog post on the painting titled las meninas by Diego Velázquez. I had the privilege of studying this painting in art history so it was super cool to see it in real life! The scale of the painting was much larger than I expected. The figures are rather life-like in size. It makes the illusion that we are a part of the painting much more real. I love the different layers of the painting. The little girl and her ladies in waiting are in the foreground of the painting. Diego is a layer away from them. The mirror of the king and queen is in the layer before the background, and then in the background there is another person who I can not make out. The composition of this painting and its use of layers makes it so interesting to look at. 

    I think this painting is important historically and culturally. I think historically it is important because it has become one of the most known paintings. People like to debate this painting and study it. It is many people's favorite painting and I think that people will always remember it. I think it is culturally important because it was done by a Spanish painter. Anytime a famous piece of art shows up in a museum from the country the artist is from I think it makes it more meaningful. Spain is able to show off an amazing piece of work done by one of their own. 

    I think this painting contributes to Madrid's status as a cultural capital because of what I said above. When you have a painting done by a painter from a country it is being shown off in it makes it more important. The painting is a part of Spanish culture. Spain is able to show it off to everyone that comes to visit. People that come to visit are then able to learn the story behind it and maybe even learn a bit about Spain's history and culture. Furthermore, it also helps the people of Spain be able to learn more about someone from their history. They are able to hear about this great Spanish painter and be proud of him and his work! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal