Belgium Art: Manneken Pis

   

    I chose to do my art blog about the Manneken Pis. The first thing I noticed about this iconic art piece was the size of it. It is so small. It’s probably about the length of my leg from the knee down. Another thing I noticed was that the material of the man doesn’t match the fountain it is standing on. I was able to learn later that this is because the man has been stolen too many times so they have put up a fake in its place. It is sad to think that people can’t enjoy the real one because of a few people who think it’s funny to steal it. Another thing I noticed was.

    Historically I don’t think it is that important but it may have some cultural significance! When we were in the city hall our guide told us that there are numerous stories about this statue. One of them is that a little baby scared away invaders because it started to pee when the invaders came into its room. All of the stories like this are super fun and get passed around. They may not be historically accurate but they are a super fun part of Belgium culture. Having little tales that people can pass on to tourists, friends, or family members is such an iconic cultural thing. 

    I think the statue impacts Brussels' status as a cultural capital because it is very well known. I didn’t really know anything about Brussels before I came here but I had heard of this statue. It is a little thing that helps people know about Brussels. When these people finally get to visit Brussels they make sure they go and see this little iconic statue. I think that any city or country that has a fun little monument helps to make it a cultural capital. Some countries have grander ones than a funny little boy taking a piss, but they all provide the place with recognition.


Comments

  1. Molly, I love that you chose to post about the Manneken Pis in Belgium. That was one of my favorites! I like that you pointed out that it was much smaller than we imagined it would be. The infamous quality of this statue really does contribute to Brussels being one of the cultural capitals of the world. People come from all over to see it, just like us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal