Alida Bosshardt

    

    I chose to do my women’s choice blog on Alida Bosshardt, also known as Major Bosshardt. She was a very strong and brave woman. One of things I learned about her is that she joined the Salvation Army at only 18 years old. Another thing I learned about her was that she ran an orphanage. While she ran this, she would take Jewish children in and hide them from the Nazis. Learning this made me respect her so much. As someone that wants to work with children, hearing about someone risking their life for them makes me so grateful. Another thing I learned about her was that she helped the women of the red light district. She opened the first good will center for working women. I also gained a lot of respect for her from learning this. A lot of women judge “working women” but instead of judging them, she helped them. She tried to make things better for them, help them feel safe. I had never heard about this woman before the trip but she sounds really amazing.

    I think her contribution was important because she helped so many people. More importantly she helped people that others would not help. Furthermore, she knew what she would be able to do and what she wouldn’t be able to do. She didn’t have false hope which I think helped her in succeeding. I found a quote from her and I think it sums up this perfectly. She said, “Should I believe that I can fight prostitution? No way! I try to give these women a helping hand so often that they can grab it when they want to grab it. We accept these girls and women as they are in their situation” (Bosshardt). I think her point of view helped other women to accept these girls and not look down on them. I think this is a really big contribution. 

    She has been given a bridge. I think a bridge provides nice symbolism for her. The bridge is her and her help. From her and her help, children in danger were able to not fall into the waters below, the Nazi. Working women were able to get the help they needed from her. She does as a bridge does. She keeps you safe and gets you from one place to the next. Because of this I think it is a good commemoration. I also think the location is good. It is near where she was in her life so it is significant in that sense. 

*Used a direct quote from Major Bosshardt


Comments

  1. Love this girl! I think that learning about Alida Bosshardt makes us think about the not so good things that were happening in Amsterdam, and how a woman was able to change them for the better. We can see how Amsterdam has grown into the cultural capital that it is today, and how it has become safer for women, children, and everyone due to Alida's contribution. I think that her commemoration also shows the respect that the city of Amsterdam has for her, as she has a wonderful statue that just invites you to sit next to her, and the bridge which has so much symbolism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Molly! It was so interesting to learn about Alida Bosshardt this past weekend and I think she really adds depth to our understanding of Amsterdam as a cultural capital. She embodies Amsterdam’s cultural richness and the values that define her community. Learning about her helps also helps us understand better how the social dynamics work and have worked in Amsterdam over time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post Molly! As you said Major Bosshardt is inspiring and groundbreaking in how she helped women. Learning about her helped me see that Amsterdam has culture of celebrating women and not just men, by putting up a statue after her. Also by naming a bridge after her as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Agnès Varda

Concepción Arenal