Agnès Varda



    I have had the privilege of learning a lot about Agnès Varda. Some of the things I have learned are really important and serious facts while others are just fun little facts. One of these little facts I have learned is that her signature hairstyle was bright red hair grown out so that the top was gray! I thought this was such a funny little fact and it was so unique. Another thing I have learned is that Agnès started out as a photographer. I think this definitely helped her because as a director you have to be able to see the big picture of the movie. Another fun little fact is that her love of photography inspired her to live on the street named after the person who invented photography! One of the really cool and important facts I have learned about her is that right away she had great respect from male film makers. She was considered one of them. Women were not typically given this amount of respect so this is amazing and just shows what a talent she was. 

    Agnès Varda is important because she paved the way for other women in the film industry, she was an important part of the French new wave, and her work promotes important ideas and strong characters. In the movie Cleo from 5 to 7 directed by Agnès, there is a beautiful message and a strong and complex female protagonist. This character addresses real life issues that I think every woman can relate to, I know I can. Agnès' work is amazing because there had never been anything like it before. She is an inspiration to many people. Right now there is still a shortage of female directors getting recognized but I hope that in the near future this will not be the case. 

    I do not think she has been commemorated as well as she could be. I do like that they have not changed her street name because she loved that street, but I think there could be another street, that has significance in her life, be named after her. I also feel like the mural that we saw her on is cool but it's also in a place not a lot of people may go. Furthermore, this may be embarrassing to admit but I did not know who Agnès was until this class. Because of that I feel like there should be more recognition of her in the movie industry. Maybe there could be a directors award named after her. I think something like that may help her to be more well commemorated.




Comments

  1. Hi Molly, This is such a great blog post. I love all the specific details you included about Varda (her hair, her photography, her house, her importance in New Wave cinema) and "Cleo from 5 to 7." I also think your suggestion that a director's award be named after her is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning about Agnès Varda deepens our understanding of her city, Paris, as a cultural capital in several ways. Varda's work exemplifies the artistic tradition and innovation that have long been associated with Paris. As a filmmaker, she was part of the vibrant cultural scene that thrived in the city, collaborating with other artists and intellectuals who were pushing the boundaries of their respective fields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting post, Molly. I like the details you discuss about Agnes Varda at the beginning. I'm intrigued to hear more about some of the details you mention. For example, how and why does Varda's background in photography help her in her work as a film director? For me, what comes to mind, is the distinct features that filmmakers and photographers often have. Filmmakers often come at a film with a different perspective than photographers (not necessarily better or worse, but sometimes merely just different). I would also be intrigued to hear more about how Varda represents the female experience, and how that may be similar or dissimilar to how the rest of Europe perceives females and their experience. But I do like how you touch on her innovation in both film and feminism as a whole with her work. I'd also love to hear more about your thoughts on how Varda has been commemorated. Is she commemorated differently than other female figures in France (or Europe overall)? If so, how and why? If not, why not? Those are just some of my thoughts as I was reading your blog. I enjoyed reading your blog, and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. talk about the obstacles that stood in her way as she tried to make her contribution. What hampered her? Does that still exist today? Has it disappeared, or decreased in degree? I loved how you talked a little bit about how Agnès Varda faced many obstacles as she tried to make her contributions to the world. As she was an aspiring female film-maker in an industry dominated by men, it was extremely difficult for her to get taken seriously. It's crazy that that kind of bias still exists in the world today. Men are still dominating in the film industry today, even though there are plenty of women making amazing films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Molly! I think you do a really good job answering the final question one about the obstacles she faced. Since it was a male dominated field it was hard for her to be able to get her voice heard, but she was true to herself and eventually found respect from her fellow directors. I think that is really inspiring and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly, I loved your comments! I so appreciated you reminding me of Varda's signature hairstyle. Question #2 on the final talks about how a woman deepened our understanding of her city's cultural capital. Though Varda didn't work in fashion, could her unique style have been a more meaningful connection to Paris as a whole? Answering this question might provide some interesting context for the final!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palais Garnier

Concepción Arenal